Business Licensing Requirements
Isle of Wight County
There are several requirements needed before initiating a business in Isle of Wight County. The first step is to obtain a zoning permit. You will need this prior to obtaining a business license. For your convenience, all permitting offices are located at the Isle of Wight Courthouse Complex, Courthouse Highway, (Route 258), Isle of Wight, Virginia.
• To obtain a business license and name registration, local contractor license, inquire about personal property and other taxes, contact:
The Commissioner of the Revenue
• Zoning permits may be obtained through the Department of Planning and Zoning. An appointment with a planning specialist is recommended when starting a new business that involves new construction or changes to an existing facility. This meeting will determine the process for site plan approval according to the county’s zoning ordinance. Business related signs also require site plan review to show the proposed sign location and a sign schematic reflecting the size, height and sign details. In addition, home occupancy related businesses have certain regulations that may be obtained through this department.
The Department of Planning and Zoning
• Land Disturbing Permits may be obtained through the Department of Engineering after site plan approval is obtained for new construction or an expansion to an existing business. The requirements for connections to public water and sewer systems may also be obtained through this department.
The Department of Engineering
• Building permits, inspections and fire code compliance is issued through the Department of Inspections.
The Department of Inspections
• Restaurants or establishments serving food and beverage to the public and any business that will utilize an individual sewage or well system must comply with the local health regulations. This also applies to the Towns of Smithfield and Windsor. (Note: After June 1, 2010, the Isle of Wight Health Department will be located on South Church Street, Smithfield).
Isle of Wight Health Department
Town of Smithfield
The Town of Smithfield is one of two towns located in Isle of Wight County. If a business wishes to locate in Smithfield, it’s advisable to first make an appointment with the Smithfield Department of Planning and Zoning to obtain a zoning certification on an existing or new commercial site.
To obtain a business license in the Town of Smithfield and register the name of a business, one must contact the Town Treasurer’s Office, located at 310 Institute Street, Smithfield. Telephone: 364-4200, http://www.smithfieldva.gov.
The treasurer’s office will also assist in explaining real estate taxes and the obligations to the town and Isle of Wight County.
To find out what issues are involved in a home-bases business, one may contact the Treasurer’s office.
Permits that include zoning, signs, waivers, and land disturbance may be obtained through the Smithfield Planning and Zoning Department, (757)365-6211), http://www.smithfieldva.gov.
Town of Windsor
The Town of Windsor is one of two towns located in Isle of Wight County. If a business wishes to locate in Windsor, please call the town office, (757)242-4288, http://www.windsor.va.gov.
The town’s office, located at 8 East Windsor Boulevard, Windsor, is a “one-stop shop” for a business license and business name registration. Windsor is one of two towns located in Isle of Wight County. The town’s treasurer will explain real estate taxes and other obligations to the town and Isle of Wight County.
Permits that include zoning, signs, waivers, and land disturbance may be obtained through Windsor’s Planning and Zoning official.